Saturday, October 15

Would you lock the door?

Confession time: 

I've been absolutely terrible at taking medication this cycle. 

First I screwed up the BCP; I started taking them backwards in the package and then couldn't figure out what day I was on.  I missed some days and then doubled up on others.   On my official last day of BCP (Oct 5), I still had 3 pills left in the package.  It's a good thing I never had to rely those things for actual birth control.  I'd have ended up like Michelle Dugger or something.

Then I missed my first dose of Lupron.  I was all set to take it but I wanted to get the twins to sleep first so I'd have time to review the instructions and concentrate on what I was doing.   So I laid down with the kids and promptly fell asleep.  I woke up in a panic at 2am and rushed out to the kitchen to do it.  And it's happened several times since then.  I just completely forget to take it then end up doing a catch-up dose the next morning.   The good news it that it didn't matter one bit.  The clinic called with the results of u/s and it was all clear.  The cyst is gone and my ovaries are completely suppressed despite my being a disorganized basket case.

I blame my absent mindedness on my kids.  When I did IVF in 2008 I would have NEVER missed a dose.  The entire focal point of my day was the ritual of taking my injections.   But now the twins are my  focus and everything else comes 2nd.

On the infertility website that I follow (ivf.ca), there are many ladies with secondary infertility (they have one child but are struggling to conceive #2).  They often talk about the logistical challenges of doing IVF when you have a toddler (or two) in tow.  I had thought they were exaggerating, but I get it now.  And I'm only doing an FET.  A fresh IVF cycle would be much more hectic, the additional medications (which REALLY do need to be taken at the same time each day), the early morning monitoring appointments etc. 

In other news, it turns out the whole Dynalife drama was all for naught.  My clinic didn't get the bloodwork; they called Dynalife and they have no record of it.  Despite the fact that they happily took my $47 for rush bloodword.  Grrr.   Fortunately, since my cyst is gone, the RE decided that I was ok to go ahead anyway without bloodwork.  Snaps for my ovaries!!  Boo for Dynalife!

No comments:

Post a Comment